Proverbs around the corner

"Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive tons of shit."

Monday, October 20, 2008

Living Next Door to ...

"Oh, I don't know why she's leaving, Or where she's gonna go, I guess she's got her reasons, But I just don't want to know, 'Cos for twenty-four years I've been living next door to Alice. Who the fuck is Alice?" This is what we sing at the karaoke he he.
Living next door to someone is a privilege and also a burden. Nowadays, getting to know our neighbors is a weird, scarce chance in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
In old times, Mongolian nomads, used to know each other well, even though the next door neighbor would be in 2-3 km. Strangers were no strangers, people were friendly and warm.
What happened when people started urbanizing? They have become more estranged, more cold to next door neighbors. One barely seen its next door neighbor.
We need good relationship with our neighbors, but when you approach someone, they'll raise their eyebrows, be shocked and close their door on your nose.
So weird. It used to be so different, when I was a child. I used to play with girls from my apartment building. And now, I am afraid to let my child go outside by its own. Mistrust, fear have grown deeply in our hearts. What to do?


No comments: