Proverbs around the corner

"Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive tons of shit."

Monday, February 18, 2008

Personal Space

It is uncommon concept in Mongolia, to have a personal space (both physical and mental) and time. From the childhood, we live very close with our families. We share the rooms, toys, and even clothes. For example, I had to share my room and toys with my younger brother. I had to wear (in deficient times) some clothes descended from my uncles, which was very degrading, but our family had no other choice.

After several years of study abroad, I long for my personal space and quality time. In western culture, you are allowed to have that, but here at home, I am suffocating. I am nauseating from intrusion of my family members, friends, relatives, and even strangers into my life, my space, and my time. Is there any cure? I do not think that currently there is any cure, except to single out oneself from the people. Whenever, I try to single out myself into the symphony of loneliness, people see me as egocentric, inconsiderate of others, bizarre, unfriendly, and even rude. Isn’t it ironic? (Reminds me of a song “Ironic” by Alanis Morrissete) All I seek is little time and space, just to myself.

It is ironic that as a result to my search of “personal space” on Wikipedia, I find this passage “Personal space is highly variable. Those who live in a densely populated environment tend to have smaller personal space requirements. Thus, a resident of India may have a smaller personal space than someone who is home on the Mongolian steppe, both in regard to home and individual.” I guess they are trying to explain about the physical space between individuals and their habitat. However, what I am trying to say is that there is more to personal space than just physical aspects of it. I long for quiet quality time to read a book, watch a movie, listen to music, or just be lazy, without any intrusion. Is it that much to ask?

Like the movie title “Free Willie,” I want to say FREE VICA! Keke

No comments: