Proverbs around the corner

"Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive tons of shit."

Monday, December 24, 2007

The First blog I ever written

This is my first time in so-called "blogging." I still don't get it how would one want to post everyday their sacred thoughts. However, read few blogs that my friends posted and realized that it doesn't have to be a dull duty. It easily could replace my few hour-long chats with my friends, which at the core is only expression and exchange of mine and their opinions, ideas, experience and persuasion. Plus, another way to exercise freedom of speech, which in my country people started utilizing it very often these days.

Honestly, I don't know what to write, so I'll just start describing current society of Mongolia, from my perspective. First of all, the economy is seems like booming as we had more than 7 percent GDP growth in last few years. Unfortunately, only due to growth in few sectors and goods: mining of gold and copper and export of cashmere. Somehow, that rings the bell with sign "Dutch Disease!" I came back last June and the fact how town center was transformed, just wowed me. Then, I realized after touring around the city, that the construction and economic boom is only happening in the city center, and the rest of the city is left to rust. The living conditions in "ger" districts actually have worsened. Access to clean water, decent bathroom and showers are close to none.

Secondly, the psychology of young people has changed dramatically. Only in few years time, it became widely acceptable to have an affair, "prostitution" of male! and females, idea of easy life, and even people seem to be OK with an idea marrying their daughters to Chinese construction workers. What's wrong with that, you ask me. I think it is very wrong to believe that all foreigners are good and rich people. In most of the times, ones with poor and problematic background come to Mongolia for residing.

Next, I would like to highlight the issue of bars and discos. Oddly enough, they close at 12 now. When I was at age of all partying and discos, it used to close at 4-5 am and that was OK, no trouble. Now, they're trying to decrease crime rate and slow down the drinking habits by closing bars and pubs early, which I think will never happen, as long as the poverty stays the same. Government should first build recreational places for young people to spend their free time, and then close down bars and pubs. Now, poor young people are left to wander around streets for place to go in winter cold. Very nice!

At last, I would like to say that I love my country with all my heart. It only hurts me to see how it is transforming into grey mess, deserted area with un-identifiable culture that is losing its uniqueness.

Even though, my first blog is bit dark in its content, I'll try to touch more light issues next time.

Until then, take care! Cheers!

No comments: